Sunday, August 28, 2011

Strong Sometimes Means Crying

Today was my big race.  The race that I had been running for all summer.  Every other day, every week.   I was so excited for this race, I couldn't see straight. 
A half mile into the first mile, my achilles tendon began to get sore. 
WHAT?? 
I had a sore tendon on my other side!  Sore became excruciating by the end of that first mile.  I hobbled.  I sorta hopped on one leg.  I walked like John Wayne. 

And I cried.  I cried 'cause I hurt.  I cried because I could run this!  My lungs felt great!  My legs felt great.  My tendons just burned like acid. 

It's awful to say this, but I tell you what, that last six blocks, if one more person told me "You're doing great", I was going to hitch my way over there and smack them. 
Hard.

I crossed that line and begged for ice. 

I'm still in ice. 

But, I made it.  And I'm determined to run that same route with normal tendons and THAT will be my time!

4 comments:

  1. How awful about your tendon! Take good care, and heal well! Your spirit is certainly strong, and you will succeed. Hugs for the pain you endured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crossed the line anyway?! You GO girl!! You're fierce! I know you're going to kill it when you're all better! And I do hope you're all better very soon. Please do take really good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. talk about strength and courage! You're amazing! I'm not sure I could have gone on. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - I wouldn't say it was too much strength and courage, more along the lines of me not thinking there would be anyone to help me. :)

    I discovered that it wasn't my tendon, just a sprain. So I am babying it and going slowly.

    Thanks for all your kind thoughts!

    ReplyDelete