Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Okay, I Can Go This Way Too

My evening job has me as a supervisor of cleaning crews, and surprisingly, I enjoy it immensely.  I take care of medical offices and I really like the thought that I am making it safer for everyone who walks in.  It's very strange, I know.   Plus, it's very therapeutic to make things tidy.
One of the oddest things to come out of all of this is the fact that some of the crew are Russian immigrants or the children of Russian immigrants.  Having always been a little fascinated by the Soviets and used-to-be Soviets, I'm kinda thrilled by this.  To help improve work,  I'm working on my Russian language skills.  It's different than my Gaelic, but there are a lot of similarities in structure/masculine/feminine.
  Right now, my every day vocabulary is about as strange as it can be.  (I feel like one of those old Zebra Stripe gum packs!!)  I throw out everything from Spanish to English to Irish gaelic to Scots gaelic to Russian.  Most of my greetings are in Russian.  Most of my swear words are in Gaelic (either) and I use
¿Cómo se dice...?  whenever I can.  (It's such a great phrase)  


So there you have it - weird.  Just like I like it!  :)





3 comments:

  1. Sounds weird....would love some Gaelic swear words! And whatever makes working fun, go for it! Slainte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool!! You know, one of the things that I've always wanted for myself (and I actually put it as an answer into one of this chapter's Tasks in the Artist's Way) is to be multilingual. I want to learn at least 7 languages fluently. Russian is definitely one of them. Anyway, I think it's so wonderful that you enjoy your work so much. I really admire that! Best of luck in your language studies, and Dasvidaniya for now (did I spell it right? use it right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm enjoying myself with the languages. It's a big hodge podge of languages right now. LOL

    ReplyDelete