Friday, July 15, 2011

When It All Comes Together

**[Just so that everyone knows, the guy is doing good!!  He's gonna be okay!]**

Today was one of those days where it all kinda came together.  Where everyone can see the Real Maggie, even when I'm covered in dust and fire retardant.  And when I finally say a good line, instead of thinking of it later.

I love today.  I am so proud of myself and I feel like I'm on the right path/trail/hidden passage.  I'm so happy to be there, be in the right place at the right time to make a difference to somebody.

Okay, so I'll quit waving to the (nonexistant) crowd and tell you what happened.

As I think I may have explained, I am a wildfire retardant tester.  The plane flies over, drops the retardant and my crews and I work with the aviation company to pick up the test tubs.  (about the size of a Cool-Whip bowl)  Well, as we're collecting the last load, I watch one of the aviation crew guys fall to the ground in a grand mal seizure.  Full on seizure.
So, I race over there in my big fire boots and get him turned to his side.  He continues seizing and my inner superwoman comes out.  (don't worry, I won't break my arm patting myself on the back)  I keep him on his side, start barking orders to the forest s*rvice and pretty much everyone around me.  I kept talking to him while he came out of the seizure.  I sounded like a HOT Florence Nightengale.

Did you know that if you call 911 while at the airport, it shuts the whole thing down?



Huh.

Anyway, the fire department, the ambulance, the airport police and the forest s*rvice all arrive, I do a complete evaluation to the EMTs (kinda cute) and get him in the bus.  As they're driving away, one of the Forest Service ladies asks me,  "How do you do that?  You were so calm?  Are you an EMT?"

So I said the first thing that came out of my mouth,

"No, but men are always throwing themselves at my feet."

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant response! And good for you for being one cool cucumber! And glad the guy is okay. I bet you did look hot in your cute clunky boots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured it was good Karma when those watercolor pencils I was looking at were on sale ($5)! So I bought 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOD that's excellent!!! What an amazing and awesome story! Especially because it's TRUE!! This is the kind of thing I might find myself lost in a daydream about, and here you are DOING IT! Maggie! Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dream, thanks! I got word that the seizure was caused by dehydration. Low potassium! So, drink that water!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL, brilliant response! And glad to hear the guy is going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant! Congratulations on keeping your cool in such a situation. *Round of applause*

    ReplyDelete