Thursday, July 28, 2011

News

This afternoon, a friend of mine told me that her husband has cancer of the throat and lymph nodes.  Which is tragic, no matter what. But, why this makes it doubly so for me is that I worked for her husband, my friend!, for a decade.  I shared more time with him than almost anyone else outside of my family.  When my friend (the wife) was in a car wreck and broke her neck, I was there taking care of everyone.  I covered his job at work, made sure he was eating/sleeping/etc. while she was in surgery and recovering.  I've known these friends since 1994!

I think I may be a little stunned.  I know that cancer can be defeated.  I don't want to think that I could be without my friend, no matter how much he drove me nuts. 

So, I don't know what to do.  I guess I have to just get it out there so I can start to work with it....

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this! I join in with you in your belief that it can be defeated and I'm sending my heartiest wishes and prayers for much healing and a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible news and painful. Hugs to you as you deal with your own sorrow, and as you help your friends with theirs. The Gods and Goddesses are there for you if you seek their love and guidance. So very sorry about this. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! :( I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! I'm not so sure there's always something we can 'do' in situations like this, except just be present for our friends so that we can help them when they need it.

    Grrrr....of all the things about getting older that get to me, it's this sort of thing. I've watched my mom (almost 79) outlive her husband, all SEVEN of her brothers and sisters, all SEVEN of my dad's siblings, and a goodly number of her friends (including her BFF). :(

    Sending prayers for your friend that they will find good treatment for him that will help him back to full well being!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I got a chance to talk to Dennis and it's looking pretty good. I'll go to chemo with him a couple of times and keep an eye on his wife, doing what I can around the house/etc. for them. :)

    ReplyDelete