Sunday, July 7, 2013

Compost Baking

After getting my recycled compost bin up and together (holypostdrivers, Batman! and photos will be posted later, when I can lift my arms), I decided that it was time to bake some bread. I've always loved making bread and needed that comfort,  I guess.  I had read earlier on Facebook that a friend of mine had brain cancer.

Actually, she wasn't a "friend", really.  She works in my old local running store.  We shared a name and she was always, always, always kind to me.  It upset me that someone that wonderful was going through something so dreadful.  I needed to be creative and bake.  I needed to make something.  So, I was off to the kitchen!

I realized instantly, that I needed to be really be creative - no bread pan.  I had to do some Internet hopping to find recipes.

Happily, I found this: Easy No-Knead Skillet Bread.  Having lugged my grandfather's skillets down from Montana, I was ready. (I had been wanting to try another no-knead bread for a while, after pretty decent success with this recipe, but my mother was not parting with her dutch oven.  I really
recommend it if you're fortunate enough to have a 5 quart dutch oven.) 
I got flour on my bare feet and my fingers are still a little greasy from the dutch oven seasoning.  It was wonderful and exactly what I needed. 


 
It was kind of an ugly thing - I should have used the 8 skillet, not the 10.
 
 
But, it tasted great.  The kids ate it up and it'll be a great base for herbed bread this fall.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment